1. Who is your hero? (In business, life, or both.)
My dad was my hero, my mentor and my friend. He unfortunately passed away recently.
2. What’s the single best piece of business advice that helped shape who you are as an entrepreneur today, and why?
You need a healthy work life balance. It is not all about work! Family is key and my wife Liesl and I have been married for 29 glorious years and we raised two great successful boys. They both unfortunately live abroad and we miss them dearly.
3. What’s the biggest mistake you ever made in your business, and what did you learn from it that others can learn from too?
To over-trust people and then be bitterly disappointed in their actions.
4. What do you do during the first hour of your business day and why?
Reflect on where we can improve, read up on what is happening in the market and world. Catch up on mails and then prepare for the meetings of the day.
5. Who is your company’s target customer?
We have various go to market strategies. We own Distribution companies that target Resellers and Retailers. There are approximately 10,000 IT resellers in SA. We also own System Integrator and IP bases businesses that target the corporate sector.
6. What’s your best financial tip for entrepreneurs just getting started?
People underestimate the importance of proper financial management.
The other tip would be to try and ‘carve’ out a niche area and ………Cash is King
7. What’s ONE thing you recommend ALL aspiring or current entrepreneurs do right now to take their business to the next level?
Never give up!
You might fail a few times before you succeed.
Believe in yourself and your abilities.
8. What’s your definition of success? How will you know when you’ve finally “succeeded” in your business?
People are our most important asset and building a sustainable business for generations to come would mean success.
9. What is your favourite quote?
There is only one way… the right way